We know that it’s a priority for all parents and caregivers to ensure their children are happy, healthy and well. But sickness is common place as children’s immune systems develop. The way children play, means illness can spread more easily.
A new virus (the novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)) was first detected in Hubei Province of mainland China, and now there are a few cases on our shores. The World Health Organisation has since declared the disease an International Health Emergency.
As Playgroups get underway for 2020, please keep the following guidance in mind.
If you have traveled to mainland China or been in contact with someone who has:
• please be alert for any symptoms and seek medical assistance if required.
• If you or your child have symptoms, or appear unwell, please contact your family doctor and please do not come to playgroup until you get the OK to do so.
• if you and your child have no symptoms then you are ALL WELCOME at playgroup as usual.
Preventing the spread of sickness:
- encourage and practice food hygiene
- avoid contact with others by staying home in you or your child are unwell
- teach children to cough and sneeze into their elbow; and
- avoid touching, kissing and hugging children, parents and caregivers.
For information about the virus and how to respond, please refer the online resources and information provided by the Australian Government Department of Education.